Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
AT&T Mobile App Hackathon - Palo Alto - GAME JAM!
Friday, January 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM (PST)
Redwood City, CA
Interested in building mobile games?
Mobile App Hackathon is an event produced by the AT&T Developer Program that is designed for attendees (technical & non-technical) to build apps/mobile apps, get fed, compete for prizes across different categories and most importantly: meet new people and scout for teammates to work on new or current projects. Our hackathon will introduce you to the latest cutting edge tools to help deploy your own app with a website backend, fully hosted in the cloud.
This specific hackathon will feature speakers from the gaming industry as well as mentors that can help you with the game you have been thinking about building or advance the game you have already built.
To make this event even more interesting for you, Wild Tangent has graciously offered to FINISH the first place game, free of charge. You own the rights to the game and Wild Tangent / AT&T will help get the word out through our channels.
We Supply: Quick presentations and code samples that help to bootstrap your hacking, food to keep you going, and caffeine to keep you awake. Along with technical senseis to assist you in building faster, smarter, and with new tools.
You Bring: Your laptop, skills & ideas. Come with a collaborative, team focused mindset and/or team up in advance on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ via the #atthack hashtag. Whether you are a backend person and code in Ruby/PHP/.NET or are a designer and only work with Illustrator, you are invited to attend this event. Every group needs a good balance of talent and your development skills are needed!
Event Schedule. The following is a list of the weekends agenda:
- 6PM - Friday Evening - Kickoff event with drinks, networking, and developer dating which leads into idea pitches and team formation.
- 7PM - Friday Evening - Speakers present (please see below for list)
- 8PM - Friday Evening - Pitch ideas and form teams
- 10AM - Saturday Morning - The fun continues with an all day hackathon. Work with the teams that you formed on Friday night to produce the app spec’d out the night before. Senseis will be available throughout the entire event to help you code up your solution. App submissions will be accepted throughout the day with a deadline of 7PM.
- 7PM - Saturday Evening - Promptly at 7PM, teams will begin pitching their ventures. Pitches are limited to three (3) minutes per team.
Prizes. The following prizes are experiential and geared towards accelerating you towards a successful business as well as expanding your network and industry knowledge:
- Best Hackathon Overall Mobile Gaming App
- 1st Place - $500 in Gift Cards for the team
- 2nd Place - $300 in Gift Cards for the team
- 3rd Place - $200 in Gift Cards for the team
- Greatest Market Potential (must use AT&T APIS)
A 3-month incubation period at nestGSV including:
- Business Development Coaching from nestGSV and the AT&T Foundry
- Access to NestEDU Leadership training for founders
- Opportunities to present before venture capital firms and other big players in the Innovation Ecosystem
- Workspace, conference room access, IT support, gym membership, recreational facilities
- Best App using AT&T APIs (Click for more info)
- $500 in Gift Cards for the team to split and entire team seeded with Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Devices and one (1) month of 1GB DataConnect Service (Max 3) [compliments of Sierra Wireless]
- Best Leveraging Ludei HTML5 platform
- $500 in Gift Cards for the team to split
- Best Blackberry Game/App
- $500 for the team to split
- $300 for the team to split
- $200 for the team to split
Judging Criteria. Apps will be judged based on the criteria below and weighted accordingly.
- 33% Weight - Ability to clearly articulate what your app does
- 33% Weight - Originality of idea
- 33% Weight - Use of bleeding edge full stack technologies.
- Follow us @hackathonlive for live updates and photos from the event
- "Like" us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/AttMobileAppHackathon
|Alex Donn, Senior Marketing Manager at AT&T, is based out of sunny Seattle! His passion is educating developers young and old about mobile application development best practices through events like hackathons that fuse the collective interests of multiple technology and business leaders. He loves bacon and is allergic to all types of gluten.||Lance Nanek is one of the programmers for Lock n Roll - a cross platform dice puzzle game with over 1 million downloads and available on iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7, and facebook. He has over 10 years of experience in IT - supporting other developers as part of HTCdev, working on hit apps like CardioTrainer at WorkSmart Labs, and working for big companies like IBM and State University of New York.|
|Tim Anglade, handles Developer Relations & Outreach for Apigee. In previous lives, he was a Research Assistant, a Project Manager, a University Lecturer and a CTO but he kept writing code all the while. You may have met him at a conference, during the NOSQL Summer or seen him host the NOSQL Tapes. He’s always up to chat about dev, hacks, apps & tech — so come say hi!|
|Curtiss Pope is the founder and CEO of AisleFinder, an app that matches your shopping list with aisles in supermarkets. He started his technology career coding and designing web sites and software for companies like Yahoo, Microsoft, and Installshield. He often shares his views on entreprenuership and design in blogs such as Venturebeat, and Hacker News. He additionally has been featured on many sites including Tech Crunch and CNET.||Andrew "Andy" Manoske is an investor at GGV Capital, a technology-focused venture capital firm with over $1.5B in assets managed. As an associate he focuses on GGV's investments in gaming, digital music, and technology infrastructure. He is also a board observer on Playhaven and Bandpage. Prior to GGV, Andy served in a variety of technical product roles at EA, NetApp, SAP, and Microsoft. He was credited on the Xbox 360 release of The Godfather and was the youngest product manager in NetApp's history.|
|Roger Billerey-Mosier is VP Eng and Product at Crunched, the best online meeting and presentation platform out there. Previously big data guy at Federated Media and early web and data engineer at Trulia (NYSE IPO 2012). Linguist by trade.||David Chung is Director Channel Sales - Americas NeuroSky, Inc. the leader in biosensor technology changes the user’s experience. NeuroSky works with leading manufacturers, universities and researchers, to deliver solutions that improve people’s lives – by bridging the gap how applications respond to the individual.
|Larry Downes is an Internet industry analyst and author. His books include "Unleashing the Killer App" and, most recently, "The Laws of Disruption." He writes regularly for a variety of publications including CNET and Forbes.com||Eric Apel is Senior Character artist at 2K Sports. He works in 3D modeling, surfacing, rigging and Visual Development for current and Next-Gen platforms. Previously he worked at Sierra On-Line doing Design and Animation.|
|Alvin Wang, founder of Cloud Wizard, is currently the CTO or Lead Architect at 5 startups. At Cloud Wizard he works to develop scalable cutting edge systems using the latest technology including the various cloud platforms including Amazon Web Servinces, Google App Engine, Joyent, etc.||Paras Wadehra is a Nokia Developer Ambassador promoting development for the awesome Windows Phone platform. He himself is an expert mobile developer and also helps startups understand the mobile world and helps them build mobile apps. He can be found on Twitter at @ParasWadehra.|